Friday, January 16, 2009

"But not really."


We introduced the potty to Ali by 18 months. She's regularly used it for the last several. More intensely training, with sticker tickets and rewards all this last week. Today, we attempted a more focused session of learning. It didn't go gloriously. I tried to be encouraging to Ali as we wrapped up to head to bed, "It's been a good day. Ali's learned a lot more about potty training." I was shocked to hear her weakly add, "But not really." I have no idea where she gets these things, but I'm afraid it feels about right.
So, we have some friends who keep us connected in very creative ways. I'm going to borrow an idea here. It won't be as clever as their's and my numbers will be general approximations, but here's a go at Our Day, By the Numbers.
(3,700+ cloth diaper changes in the last 2 years & 4 months)
1 eager mama
1 generally enthusiastic daughter
1 potty
8 exuberant squeals, "I can do it!" (these waned as the day wore on)
1 pink Hello Kitty Cup
3 significant spills with the pink Hello Kitty Cup
4 juice boxes
2 spills with juice boxes
6 straws (Theo LOVED these)
7 underpant changes
2 loads of laundry
10 songs on the (Karaoke) Bible Song Book
3 colors of play doh
4 cookie cutters (Theo LOVED these)
48 pretzel sticks (Theo LOVED these, oops!)
27 cheez-its
11 Hello Kitty Stickers
24 piece farm puzzle
14 crayons
1 almost 8 month old who can now scoot several feet across the kitchen floor to eat crayons
1 two year old who carried along a fairly good attitude, but was pretty ready to be done "trying" by the end of the day.
1 dishwasher which somehow still wasn't unloaded by the end of the day, even though I was in the kitchen all day.
1 big piece of birthday cake & silly blog entry to vent
? the number of prayers that will go up for little Ali & I each just doing our personal best.

Since it wouldn't be appropriate to take Ali's picture today, I thought I'd show you Theo here, being quite the trooper & Karaoke star.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

Sounds like an exhausting day for a sweet girl and her very patient mama! I hope it is getting easier!

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Teeters!

Andy, I thought about you when I saw this so I snapped a picture. "Welcome to Deep Space Nine where it's tea time all the time."

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5597963&l=2df0e&id=798705452

8^D

10:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home