Thursday, November 13, 2008

The End of Morning Happy Hour




































































I try not to brag, bec
ause I know I'm very fortunate, but many of you may be familiar with Aliyah's morning Happy Hour. Since about 6 months of age my routine has been to allow Ali a nice little quiet time each morning: on average around 30 minutes, but on rare occasions indeed up to an hour. It starts with hugs, often a song, and then we've read a book. After that, I've made sure she's had plenty of books or toys within reach. Then with a kiss & a wink would close the door on my little sweetie in her cozy and yes, thoroughly baby-proofed room.
This has never been a punishment, and Ali has generally accepted it with joy, even cheerfully offering a, "See you later!" as my cue to leave.
I was shocked that she was actually willing to continue this routine after our move. Kids & routines!
There's been a few days where she's been less enthusiastic, but if I kept the stash of books rotating I could get her excited about hanging out a bit longer to keep reading. (For the last few months she's earnestly announced that she'd like to read the story we just finished to Baby Susie or another one of her little friends. I love that. Such a little mama! & story lover!)
Alas, the last couple of weeks have been a bit different. She still enjoys the reading part, but she's gotten a bit upset about being left behind in her room. Being alone is not the problem; I think she just doesn't want to miss out on any action. Last week she started anxiously grabbing the little bear & bunny she sleeps with along with her blankets, saying a bit nervously, "I want to read books with my bear and bunny out there! Out in the front room! Yeah!"
Other times she just ran to her door as fast as she could.
It was clear. It was the end of the era. No more long worry-free morning showers, sneaking in an email or household chore, or most indulgently, a few more minutes to snooze back in bed!
Ali still continues to be a very independent tot. It's not uncommon for her to play happily alone for over an hour. Theo on the other hand is a bit more needy of mama, but Ali's working on him as you can tell from some pictures here. (None are staged, Ali pulls out what she's interested in on her own.)
Officially I confess they are not all of actual morning happy hours, but they are all representative of such behavior. I'm afraid I don't have many of more recent times because I've chosen to take video. Usually the audio that accompanies the visual of these reading & play sessions is too cute to miss.
Her current "reading" is so precious, I think I'll have a little sentimental sadness when Ali actually learns to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home